Browse Items (92 total)

  • Tags: Shutters

AVPC-084-R.jpg
The Tayloe Office. Back of card reads: "The Tayloe Office, Williamsburg, Virginia. This office with its unusual bell-shaped roof served the wealthy planter Colonel John Tayloe when he came to Williamsburg as a member of the council."

AVPC-007-R.jpg
Postcard featuring a photo of the Brush-Everard House (now known as the Thomas Everard House) during a winter snow storm. Back of card reads: The Brush-Everard House, Williamsburg, Virginia. Built by gunsmith John Brush in 1717, this modest…

AVPC-093-R.jpg
Recto and verso of postcard featuring photo of the Carter-Saunders House (now known as the Robert Carter House.) Back of card reads: The Carter Saunders House, Williamsburg, Virginia. Erected early in the 18th century, this house was purchased by…

Na1733.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the George Jackson House, 135 York Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930's.

Na1706.jpg
View of Allard House before being demolished, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930s.

Na1339.jpg
Powell-Hallam House [now known as the Seymour Powell Tenement], Williamsburg, VA, circa 1930s.

Na1322.jpg
Pre-restoration view of Stratford Hall, Westmoreland County, Virginia, circa 1930s.

HLS-84.jpg
Entrance detail of the Raleigh Tavern's southern facade, viewed from the southwest along Duke of Gloucester Street, 1935. The tavern's signboard and a fence stand in the foreground, while the front entrance of the building is visible in the…

HLS-95.jpg
View of brick path leading towards the Coke-Garrett House, taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. Once the eighteenth-century residence of silversmith John Coke, the house later became the home of the Garrett family in the nineteenth century. The garden…

HLS-89.jpg
Exterior of Market Square Tavern, 1935. A welcoming glow from the windows of Market Square Tavern offered visitors to 1930s Colonial Williamsburg the ambience of stepping back in time. Constructed in 1749 by John Dixon, the tavern was extensively…

HLS-83.jpg
A carriage passes the southern façade of the Raleigh Tavern as it proceeds along Duke of Gloucester Street, 1935. The tavern's signboard and a fence stand in the foreground, while the front entrance of the building is visible in the background. A…

HLS-80.jpg
View of the front elevation of the William Finnie House (formerly known as the James Semple House) taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the Finnie House is named after William Finnie. He…

HLS-62.jpg
A popular restaurant for tourists in the 1930s, the Travis House stood for a period of time along Duke of Gloucester Street on the site formerly occupied by the Palace Theater. Its menu featured dishes inspired by colonial recipes. The structure…

HLS-55.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the front elevation of the St. George Tucker property, one of the Historic Area's original eighteenth-century houses, when still occupied by descendants of the original builder. St. George Tucker, a law professor at the…

HLS-49.jpg
Post-restoration view of the William Lightfoot House, once known as the Nightingale House. Yorktown merchant William Lightfoot constructed the dwelling to serve as a town home during visits to Williamsburg to participate in the Governor's Council.…