Browse Items (25 total)

  • Tags: Signboards

HLS-83.jpg
A carriage passes the southern façade of the Raleigh Tavern as it proceeds along Duke of Gloucester Street, 1935. The tavern's signboard and a fence stand in the foreground, while the front entrance of the building is visible in the background. A…

HLS-68.jpg
View looking down the sidewalk of the south side of Merchants Square towards the College Pharmacy, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1935.

HLS-62.jpg
A popular restaurant for tourists in the 1930s, the Travis House stood for a period of time along Duke of Gloucester Street on the site formerly occupied by the Palace Theater. Its menu featured dishes inspired by colonial recipes. The structure…

HLS-67.jpg
View of the front elevation of the Williamsburg Theater on Merchants Square, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1935.

PSC-012.jpg
Lantern slide featuring a photo of the exterior of Ayscough Shop taken by F.S. Lincoln. It is the twelfth slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California, now defunct, to illustrate the story of Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin's…

D2008-COPY-1014-1054.jpg
Exterior of the Raleigh Tavern, view of the front entrance looking north from across Duke of Gloucester Street, 1933. The tavern's signboard stands in the foreground to the left, while in the background, a gowned female costumed interpreter (once…

D2008-COPY-1014-1052.jpg
Exterior of the Raleigh Tavern, view looking northeast from across Duke of Gloucester Street, 1933. The Raleigh Tavern was the frequent scene of both jollity and consequence, and was "....the foremost of Williamsburg's taverns in the eighteenth…

D2008-COPY-1014-1001.jpg
View of Ayscough Shop from Francis Street, 1933. The Ayscough Shop once housed the Forge and Wheel, a retail establishment, which sold decorative ironwork, pottery, and other items. Christopher Ayscough, the namesake of the shop, tried operating a…

LC356P3.jpg
Entrance of the Ayscough Shop in 1935, when it housed the Forge and Wheel, a retail establishment. As noted on the sign, the shop sold decorative ironwork, pottery, and other items.

Christopher Ayscough, the namesake of the shop, tried operating…

LC357P6.jpg
View from the Ayscough property looking across Francis Street towards the William Finnie House. The Ayscough Shop's "Forge and Wheel" sign is visible in the foreground.

One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the…

LC360P1.jpg
A popular restaurant for tourists in the 1930s, the Travis House stood for a period of time along Duke of Gloucester Street on the site formerly occupied by the Palace Theater. Its menu featured dishes inspired by colonial recipes. The structure…

LC360P2.jpg
A popular restaurant for tourists in the 1930s, the Travis House stood for a period of time along Duke of Gloucester Street on the site formerly occupied by the Palace Theatre. Its menu featured dishes inspired by colonial recipes. The structure…

LC360P6.jpg
A popular restaurant for tourists in the 1930s, the Travis House served food inspired by colonial recipes. It stood for a period of time along Duke of Gloucester Street on the site formerly occupied by the Palace Theatre (Block 13, Building 23A). …

LC364P1.jpg
When Colonial Williamsburg first opened as a museum in the 1930s, Duke of Gloucester Street consisted of a combination of exhibition buildings and commercial establishments. Several grocers operated small food markets in restored or reconstructed…

LC364P4.jpg
View of front elevation of Davidson Shop when it housed R.W. Mahone & Co. General Merchandise, 1935. Located on the north side of Duke of Gloucester Street, the building was reconstructed according to archaeological, architectural, and documentary…

LC364P5.jpg
Exterior of the Margaret Hunter Shop, once known as Pender's Grocery, as viewed from Duke of Gloucester Street, 1935.  When Colonial Williamsburg first opened as a museum in the 1930s, Duke of Gloucester Street consisted of a combination of…

LC364P6.jpg
Exterior of the Margaret Hunter Shop, once known as Pender's Grocery, looking east down Duke of Gloucester Street, 1935. When Colonial Williamsburg first opened as a museum in the 1930s, Duke of Gloucester Street consisted of a combination of…

LC365P1.jpg
View of Ayscough Shop and William Finnie House, looking south across Francis Street, 1935. The structure to the left is the Ayscough Shop, which housed the Forge and Wheel (a retail establishment) in 1935. The shop sold decorative ironwork, pottery,…

LC365P3.jpg
Exterior view of Travis House, looking down Duke of Gloucester Street, 1935. A popular restaurant for tourists in the 1930s, the Travis House served food inspired by colonial recipes. It stood for a period of time along Duke of Gloucester Street on…

LC367P2.jpg
Exterior of the Nicholas-Tyler Office as viewed from Duke of Gloucester Street, 1935. The north and west facades of the Nicholas-Tyler Office illustrate both the varied use of buildings in Williamsburg's Historic Area, as well as modifications that…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2