Browse Items (33 total)

  • Tags: Signs

Garr-012.jpg
A horse-drawn carriage in front of the Raleigh Tavern on Duke of Gloucester Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930's

Garr-011A.jpg
Hand-colored photograph of horse-drawn carriage stopped in front of Raleigh Tavern on Duke of Gloucester Street in Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930's.

Na385.jpg
Workers uncrate the unicorn statue and prepare to install it at the Governor's Palace front gates, Williamsburg, Virginia, 1933.

Na2477.jpg
Inn and Old Clerk's Office, Smithfield, Virginia, 1930,

HLS-84.jpg
Entrance detail of the Raleigh Tavern's southern facade, viewed from the southwest along Duke of Gloucester Street, 1935. The tavern's signboard and a fence stand in the foreground, while the front entrance of the building is visible in the…

HLS-69.jpg
Exterior view of the A & P Store (south side of Merchants Square), from the corner of Duke of Gloucester Street and North Henry Streets, 1935. The A&P Food Market, which was later converted into the Craft House, stands at the street corner. Next…

HLS-62.jpg
A popular restaurant for tourists in the 1930s, the Travis House stood for a period of time along Duke of Gloucester Street on the site formerly occupied by the Palace Theater. Its menu featured dishes inspired by colonial recipes. The structure…

HLS-51.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the Margaret Hunter Shop when operated as a service station known as Kinnamon's Store. During the nineteenth-century, the colonial gable end store transformed into a two story structure when a second floor enlargement was…

HLS-61.jpg
Hand-colored lantern slide illustrated with a photo of a view looking down Duke of Gloucester Street past the Travis House restaurant. Taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935, the photo served as one of the earliest promotional images for the newly opened…

HLS-6.jpg
Owens Tire Co., a service station that used to stand on Duke of Gloucester Street near the area known today as Merchants Square.

PSC-025.jpg
Hand-colored lantern slide featuring photo of front entrance and sign of the Raleigh Tavern taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. It is the twenty-fifth slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California, now defunct, to…

PSC-012.jpg
Lantern slide featuring a photo of the exterior of Ayscough Shop taken by F.S. Lincoln. It is the twelfth slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California, now defunct, to illustrate the story of Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin's…

PSC-011.jpg
Lantern slide featuring a photo of the Golden Ball Shop in the early 1930s when it was located in what is today the Margaret Hunter Shop. It is the eleventh slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California, now…

D2008-COPY-1014-1054.jpg
Exterior of the Raleigh Tavern, view of the front entrance looking north from across Duke of Gloucester Street, 1933. The tavern's signboard stands in the foreground to the left, while in the background, a gowned female costumed interpreter (once…

D2008-COPY-1014-1052.jpg
Exterior of the Raleigh Tavern, view looking northeast from across Duke of Gloucester Street, 1933. The Raleigh Tavern was the frequent scene of both jollity and consequence, and was "....the foremost of Williamsburg's taverns in the eighteenth…

D2008-COPY-1014-1001.jpg
View of Ayscough Shop from Francis Street, 1933. The Ayscough Shop once housed the Forge and Wheel, a retail establishment, which sold decorative ironwork, pottery, and other items. Christopher Ayscough, the namesake of the shop, tried operating a…

LC356P3.jpg
Entrance of the Ayscough Shop in 1935, when it housed the Forge and Wheel, a retail establishment. As noted on the sign, the shop sold decorative ironwork, pottery, and other items.

Christopher Ayscough, the namesake of the shop, tried operating…

LC357P6.jpg
View from the Ayscough property looking across Francis Street towards the William Finnie House. The Ayscough Shop's "Forge and Wheel" sign is visible in the foreground.

One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the…

LC360P1.jpg
A popular restaurant for tourists in the 1930s, the Travis House stood for a period of time along Duke of Gloucester Street on the site formerly occupied by the Palace Theater. Its menu featured dishes inspired by colonial recipes. The structure…

LC360P2.jpg
A popular restaurant for tourists in the 1930s, the Travis House stood for a period of time along Duke of Gloucester Street on the site formerly occupied by the Palace Theatre. Its menu featured dishes inspired by colonial recipes. The structure…