Browse Items (64 total)

  • Tags: Stairs

Garr-041A.jpg
First floor interior passageway at George Wythe House, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930's. On verso of photo is a note written by the photographer.

HLS-89.jpg
Exterior of Market Square Tavern, 1935. A welcoming glow from the windows of Market Square Tavern offered visitors to 1930s Colonial Williamsburg the ambience of stepping back in time. Constructed in 1749 by John Dixon, the tavern was extensively…

HLS-83.jpg
A carriage passes the southern façade of the Raleigh Tavern as it proceeds along Duke of Gloucester Street, 1935. The tavern's signboard and a fence stand in the foreground, while the front entrance of the building is visible in the background. A…

HLS-62.jpg
A popular restaurant for tourists in the 1930s, the Travis House stood for a period of time along Duke of Gloucester Street on the site formerly occupied by the Palace Theater. Its menu featured dishes inspired by colonial recipes. The structure…

HLS-49.jpg
Post-restoration view of the William Lightfoot House, once known as the Nightingale House. Yorktown merchant William Lightfoot constructed the dwelling to serve as a town home during visits to Williamsburg to participate in the Governor's Council.…

HLS-54.jpg
View of the front elevation of the Ludwell-Paradise House as featured on a lantern slide produced by A.D. Handy Co. One of the eighty-eight original eighteenth-century buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the house played an important role in the…

PSC-014.jpg
Hand-colored lantern slide featuring a photo of the entrance of the Ludwell-Paradise House taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. It is the fourteenth slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California, now defunct, to…

PSC-012.jpg
Lantern slide featuring a photo of the exterior of Ayscough Shop taken by F.S. Lincoln. It is the twelfth slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California, now defunct, to illustrate the story of Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin's…

AV-2001-09-06-R.jpg
Recto and verso of postcard depicting a narrow set of stairs in the Richard Bland Tavern (now called Wethburn's Tavern.) What is referred to as the children’s stairway on the postcard is a flight of service stairs located in the rear hall of the…

D2008-COPY-1014-1067.jpg
Exterior view of the entrance to the Great Hall of the Wren Building at the College of William and Mary, 1933. Professors and students gathered in the Great Hall at long tables and benches to dine and converse during the colonial era. The room also…

D2008-COPY-1014-1063.jpg
Proposed addition to the Williamsburg Inn, view from the southeast looking northwest, 1938. This proposed addition was never built. "Abby and John D. Rockefeller, Jr. were involved in every aspect of the design, construction, and furnishing of the…

D2008-COPY-1014-1059.jpg
Exterior of the St. George Tucker House, viewed from behind the fence of the Roscow-Cole Stable yard across Nicholson Street, 1933. This view of the St. George Tucker property shows the front elevation of one of the Historic Area's original…

D2008-COPY-1014-1054.jpg
Exterior of the Raleigh Tavern, view of the front entrance looking north from across Duke of Gloucester Street, 1933. The tavern's signboard stands in the foreground to the left, while in the background, a gowned female costumed interpreter (once…

D2008-COPY-1014-1048.jpg
Exterior of the Ewing House and Josias Moody House, viewed to the south on Francis Street, 1933. The Ewing House (on the left) "...is named for Ebenezer Ewing, a Scottish merchant. When he died in 1795, Ewing left the house to Elizabeth Ashton, the…

D2008-COPY-1014-1033.jpg
Exterior view of the Governor's Palace Ballroom Wing and formal gardens, north facade, as seen through an elaborate clairvoyée (wrought-iron gate) behind the Palace, 1933. The Ballroom Wing of the Palace, featured in the background, was built as an…

D2008-COPY-1014-1028.jpg
Exterior view of the north and west facades of the Governor's Palace and formal gardens, looking southeast from the pleached hornbeam arbor behind the Palace, 1933. In the background stands the ballroom wing, an addition constructed during the 1750s,…

D2008-COPY-1014-1003.jpg
Exterior of the John Blair House, viewed from Duke of Gloucester Street, 1933. "The John Blair House and Kitchen on the north side of Duke of Gloucester Street was the home of a prominent family of Virginians. The Reverend James Blair (1655-1743),…

D2008-COPY-1014-1001.jpg
View of Ayscough Shop from Francis Street, 1933. The Ayscough Shop once housed the Forge and Wheel, a retail establishment, which sold decorative ironwork, pottery, and other items. Christopher Ayscough, the namesake of the shop, tried operating a…

LC329P17.jpg
Front elevation of the Wren Building, College of William and Mary, taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. Begun in 1695, the construction of the Wren Building marked the birth of an academic center in colonial Virginia. A series of fires in 1705, 1859, and…

LC356P3.jpg
Entrance of the Ayscough Shop in 1935, when it housed the Forge and Wheel, a retail establishment. As noted on the sign, the shop sold decorative ironwork, pottery, and other items.

Christopher Ayscough, the namesake of the shop, tried operating…