Browse Items (6 total)

  • Tags: Stocks

Garr-019.jpg
Costumed nterpreters stand next to the pillory outside the Public Gaol, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930's

AV2000-02-077-R.jpg
Recto and verso of postcard featuring a view of the stocks and pillory when they were located outside the Public Gaol. The platform provided a popular photo opportunity for early tourists to Colonial Williamsburg, Now re-located to Market Square, the…

HLS-73.jpg
Exterior view of the Public Gaol and pillory. Opened as an exhibition building in April 1936, the Public Gaol is one of eighty-eight original buildings in the Historic Area that have been restored to their eighteenth-century appearance. Criminals…

AVPC-029-R.jpg
Recto and verso of a postcard featuring a view of tourists posing in the pillory outside the Public Gaol. An official Colonial Williamsburg card published by the H.S. Crocker Co., Inc. and postmarked 1962, it depicts a popular gathering place for…

AVPC-031-R.jpg
Recto and verso of a postcard featuring two costumed interpreters portraying jailors posing by the pillory outside the Public Gaol. The Albertype Co. of Brooklyn, NY produced some of the earliest official postcards for Colonial Williamsburg. This one…

AVPC-032-R.jpg
Recto and verso of postcard featuring a view of the stocks and pillory when they were located outside the Public Gaol. A costumed interpreter portraying a jailor poses beside the pillory, a popular photo opportunity for early tourists to Colonial…