Browse Items (60 total)

  • Tags: Francis Street

LC365P7.jpg
View of Ayscough Shop and William Finnie House from Francis Street, 1935. The structure to the left is the Ayscough Shop, which housed the Forge and Wheel (a retail establishment) in 1935. The shop sold decorative ironwork, pottery, and other items.…

LC365P1.jpg
View of Ayscough Shop and William Finnie House, looking south across Francis Street, 1935. The structure to the left is the Ayscough Shop, which housed the Forge and Wheel (a retail establishment) in 1935. The shop sold decorative ironwork, pottery,…

LC356P1.jpg
View across Francis Street towards the Ayscough Shop taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. Christopher Ayscough, the namesake of the shop, tried operating a tavern on the site between 1768-1770. Other shopkeepers, including Catherine Rathell, Matthew Holt,…

H195 Print Hol-204+.jpg
Pre-restoration view of north and east elevations of Bassett Hall on Francis Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

H196 Print Hol-203.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the entrance to Bassett Hall on Francis Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

D-6.jpg
Pre-restoration view of Francis Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, including Bootsie Smith house, Fred Epps house, and Mount Ararat Baptist Church, circa 1928.

D-45B.jpg
Bracken Tenement, formerly known as the Montague House, at corner of Francis and S. Queen Streets, looking west, circa 1928.

H284 Print Hol-171.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the north facade of the Bracken Tenement on Francis Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

LC325P26.jpg
This image of the reconstructed Capitol shows its south and west facades. Rounded apsidal ends derive from Roman basilicas which contained such features in which public magistrates officiated. Completed during the reign of Queen Anne, the original…

LC325P27.jpg
Exterior of the Capitol building, south and western facades, viewed from across Francis Street to the southwest. Francis Street and the Capitol's south-facing lawn are in the foreground, and the Capitol stands in the background surrounded by the…

LC325P28.jpg
Exterior of the Capitol building, south and western facades, viewed from across Francis Street to the southwest. Francis Street and the Capitol's south-facing lawn are in the foreground, featuring a female costumed interpreter wearing a gown and…

H209 Print Hol-188.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the north and east elevations of the Chiswell-Bucktrout House on Francis Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

N3755.jpg
A pre-restoration view of the Chiswell-Bucktrout House, formerly known as the Freeman House, located on Francis Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928. A boy stands out front on roller skates.

H265 Print Hol-150.jpg
Pre-restoration view of northwest corner of Francis and Nassau streets, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

H277 Print Hol-166.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the corner of Francis Street and South England Street looking southeast from Market Square, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa. 1928. The Moss House, now demolished, is visible in the foreground.

Swem-38.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the south façade of the Dr. Barraud House (formerly the Mercer House or Ryland House), Williamsburg, Virginia.

H297 Print Hol-184.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the south elevation of the Dr. Barraud House on Francis Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

N6846.jpg
Restoration progress view of the Dr. Barraud House, formerly known as the Ryland House, at its location on the corner of Francis Street and Botetourt Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, March 17, 1942.

D-100.jpg
Pre-restoration view looking west on Duke of Gloucester Street, between Francis and Boundary Streets: (l-r) the Imperial Theater, bowling alley, Candy Kitchen, Norfolk Restaurant, pool room, barber shop, and College Shop, circa 1928. The Wren…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2