Browse Items (45 total)

  • Tags: Market Square

N200.jpg
Williamsburg Post Office when located in the former Williamsburg Methodist Church building on Market Square, circa 1928.

N5344.jpg
Scaffolding surrounds the Powder Magazine during its restoration on Market Square, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1935.

N6662.jpg
View of construction progress for the Colonial Parkway tunnel running underneath Duke of Gloucester Street in Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930s. This view shows the area near the Courthouse of 1770 and Market Square.

H001 Print Hol-64.jpg
View of south side of Duke of Gloucester Street at Block 13 prior to its restoration, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928. Buildings pictured include, left to right: Peninsula Garage, Peninsula Bank, United States Post Office (formerly Williamsburg…

H280 Print Hol-169.jpg
Pre-restoration view looking northwest along Francis Street toward the Market Square area, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928. The roof of the Powder Magazine and rear of the Baptist Church are visible,

H216 Print Hol-93.jpg
Pre-restoration view of Market Square looking towards Williamsburg Baptist Church and Williamsburg Hotel (also known at one time as Dr. Bell's Hospital), Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

H153 Print Hol-251.jpg
Pre-restoraton view from Market Square looking north across Courthouse Green, left to right: St. George Tucker House, Grissell Hay Lodging House, and Peyton Randolph House, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

H222 Print Hol-99.jpg
Pre-restoration view of north and east facades of the Raleigh Hotel on present site of Market Square Tavern, located on Duke of Gloucester Street in Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928. The adjacent buildings, which were the locations of the Dana Real…

H215 Print Hol-92.jpg
Hotel Williamsburg, later Bell’s Hospital, located near the Powder Magazine on Market Square, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

H004 Print Hol-88.jpg
View looking northeast of southwest elevation of the Colonial Hotel, on the site of present-day Chownings Tavern, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928. The Colonial Hotel became a Williamsburg Inn annex and was later demolished

H003 Print Hol-89.jpg
Pre-restoration view of Tool Shop, Jail, Firehouse, and City Hall along west side of England Street when it extended through Market Square, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

D-107.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the Powder Magazine undergoing repairs, circa 1928. The side elevation of the Baptist church that once stood on Market Square is visible behind it.

D-92.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the Market Square area, Williamsburg, Virginia, looking west on Duke of Gloucester Street from England Street. Pictured on the left are the Peninsula Garage, Peninsula Bank and the U.S. Post Office. Beyond is the First…

D-83.jpg
Pre-restoration view looking along Duke of Gloucester Street towards Bell's Hospital, Peninsula Garage, and Peninsula Bank, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

D-81-2.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the Market Square area of Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928. England Street, which once bisected Market Square, led towards the Courthouse and served as a municipal center with the City Hall, City Jail, and City Garage. The…

D-81-1.jpg
Pre-restoration view of the Market Square area of Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928. England Street, which once bisected Market Square, led towards the Courthouse and served as a municipal center with the City Hall, City Jail, and City Garage. The…

D-66.jpg
Rear view of Williamsburg, Virginia municipal buildings once located on Market Square (Block 13 buildings 13, 9, 8, 8a, 7), including the city barn, city firehouse, firehouse outbuilding, city hall, and the Spencer-Geddy shop, circa 1928.

D-19A.jpg
Side elevation of First Baptist Church when located on Market Square near the Powder Magazine, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928. A sign posted on a tree reads "Powder Horn Built 1714 Admission 10 cents."

D-13.jpg
View looking northeast of southwest elevation of the Colonial Hotel, on the site of present-day Chownings Tavern, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928. The Colonial Hotel became a Williamsburg Inn annex and was later demolished.

Swem-04.jpg
North and west facades of the Williamsburg Hotel (formerly Bell's Hospital), Williamsburg, Virginia. This building was located on Market Square near the Powder Magazine, but was demolished during the restoration.
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2