D.N. Davidson Photograph Collection

Title

D.N. Davidson Photograph Collection

Subject

Historic buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg
Architecture, Colonial - Virginia - Williamsburg
Black and white photographs
Architectural photographs - 1920-1930
Lost architecture - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

A collection of black and white photographs taken by D.N. Davidson of Richmond in the Williamsburg, Virginia area, circa 1928. The images offer many pre-restoration views of the town just prior to the commencement of restoration work funded by John D. Rockefeller Jr. Many local businesses, residences, and even streets known to townspeople in the 1920s but demolished or relocated as part of the development of Colonial Williamsburg in the late 1920s and early 1930s are documented in Davidson's photographs. The collection also provides a visual record of the appearance of many of the surviving eighty-eight public and private buildings dating to the eighteenth-century.

Creator

Davidson, D.N.

Date

Circa 1928

Is Part Of

D.N. Davidson Photograph Collection

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Items in the D.N. Davidson Photograph Collection Collection

Robert Carter House
Pre-restoration view looking across Palace Green towards the Robert Carter House (formerly known as the Saunders-Dinwiddie House), Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

Public Gaol
Pre-restoration view of the Public Gaol, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

Robert Carter House
Pre-restoration view of the side elevation of the Robert Carter House (formerly the Saunders Dinwiddie House), circa 1928.

Matthew Whaley School
Matthew Whaley School, once located on the site of the Governor's Palace in Williamsburg, Virginia, 1928.

Bracken Tenement
Bracken Tenement, formerly known as the Montague House, at corner of Francis and S. Queen Streets, looking west, circa 1928.

The Quarter
Pre-restoration view of the side and rear elevations of The Quarter, formerly known as the Emily Christian House, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

Greenhow Brick Office
Pre-restoration view of the Greenhow Brick Office, also known as the Debtor's Prison, circa 1928.

Orrell  House
Pre-restoration view of the Orrell House, formerly known as the McCandlish House, Francis Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

Orrell  House
Pre-restoration view of front and side elevations of the Orrell House, formerly known as the McCandlish House, Francis Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

Orrell  House
Pre-restoration view of rear elevation of the Orrell House, formerly known as the McCandlish House, Francis Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

Orrell  House
Pre-restoration view of the Orrell House, also known as the McCandlish House, located on Francis Street in Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

Mayo House
Pre-restoration view of the Mayo House, also known as Boston House, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

African American House
African-American children sit on the front porch of a house once located in Block 38, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928.

Prince George Street Residences
View of houses along Prince George Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1928. Residence pictured are, right to left: St. Luke's House, also known as Rose of Sharon House; Dolly Jones House; Willie Jones House; and Bonner House. An African American…

Powder Magazine
Pre-restoration view of the Powder Magazine undergoing repairs, circa 1928. The side elevation of the Baptist church that once stood on Market Square is visible behind it.

John Cary House
John Cary House when located on Block 34, Williamsburg, Virginia, prior to its demolition, circa 1928.

African American Houses
View of the Dolly Jones House and St. Luke House on Prince George Street prior to their demolition, Williamsburg, Virginia, ca.1928.

African American Houses
African American houses once located on Block 38, Buildings 20, 21 and 25, Williamsburg, Virginia, prior to their demolition, circa 1928.

Corner of Duke of Gloucester Street, Richmond and Jamestown Roads
View from corner of Duke of Gloucester, Richmond, and Jamestown roads towards Brafferton Hall at the College of William and Mary, circa 1928. Sign on the shop on the far left of the photo reads "College Shop Luncheonette Student Supplies."

Palace Green
View looking down Palace Green towards Duke of Gloucester Street, Williamsburg, Virginia, 1928. Building pictured on the right are, left to right: George Wythe House, Presbyterian Church (no longer standing), and Calhoun House (no longer…