Capitol, Williamsburg, Virginia

Dublin Core

Title

Capitol, Williamsburg, Virginia

Subject

Monuments & memorials - Virginia - Williamsburg
Capitol (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 08. Building 11.
Lantern Slides - Hand-colored - 1930-1940

Description

The Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities (APVA) acquired the site of Williamsburg’s colonial Capitol building in 1897 as a donation from the Old Dominion Land Company. They removed remnants of the Williamsburg Female Academy which stood on the site from 1849-1861. Archaeological excavations uncovered the original foundations of the Capitol. The APVA capped the foundations with cement to provide a layer of protection.

A memorial erected in the middle of the excavated foundations in 1904 commemorated members of the House of Burgesses who formed associations against the importation or purchase of British goods. This tablet still exists and was moved to the yard surrounding the reconstructed Capitol building.

Is Part Of

Peter Hornbeck Lantern Slides Collection, AV-2000.9, Box 2

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

HLS-96

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Lantern Slide

Physical Dimensions

3.25 x 4 inches

Citation

“Capitol, Williamsburg, Virginia,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed September 17, 2021, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/1152.