Confederate Monument and High School, Williamsburg, Va.

Dublin Core

Title

Confederate Monument and High School, Williamsburg, Va.

Subject

Monuments
Block 20
Schools - Virginia - Williamsburg
Postcards - Virginia Williamsburg

Description

Recto and verso of postcard published by Louis Kaufmann & Sons in the early 1920s. It features the Confederate Monument that once stood at the southern end of Palace Green. In the background is Williamsburg High School. It was located approximately where the Governor's Palace stood at the northern end of the Green and had to be demolished in the early 1930s as the Palace was reconstructed.

The stone obelisk memorializing Confederate dead was erected by the Daughters of the Confederacy. During annual celebrations of the anniversary of the Battle of Williamsburg, a memorial observance was held at the monument. Much to the horror of long-time residents, the monument was eventually removed as restoration work progressed. A court case ensued in 1932, as many residents felt Civil War history and heroes were being overshadowed by the efforts to highlight the town’s colonial history. The obelisk eventually found a new home just outside the historic district at the new James City County Courthouse complex on South England Street. Today, it can be found on Court Street in the Bicentennial Park.

Publisher

Louis Kaufmann & Sons

Date

ca. 1920s

Rights

This material is protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). For reproduction queries: Rights and reproductions

Is Part Of

Postcard Collection

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

AV-1999-29-01-R

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Postcard

Physical Dimensions

3 x 5 inches

Citation

“Confederate Monument and High School, Williamsburg, Va.,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed December 2, 2021, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/541.