House of Burgesses in the Capitol

Dublin Core

Title

House of Burgesses in the Capitol

Subject

Capitol (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 08. Building 11.
Public buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg
Historic buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

Lantern slide featuring a photo of the House of Burgesses within the Capitol, Williamsburg, Virginia, ca.1935. It is the thirty-fifth slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California, now defunct, to illustrate the story of Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin's dream to restore a portion of Williamsburg, Virginia to its 18th-century appearance as a shrine to early American ideals.

Located on the first floor (east wing) of the reconstructed Capitol building of 1705, this room served as a place for members of Virginia's House of Burgesses to assemble to discuss legislative issues. As a meeting room, it also served as the scene of many important political debates leading up to the American Revolution.

The two portraits hanging on the back wall are currently part of the collection of the Muscarelle Museum at the College of William & Mary. For many years, the college loaned the two portraits to Colonial Williamsburg for display in the Capitol. To the left is a portrait of King William III by Sir Peter Lely (formerly loan item L1955-483.) To the right is a portrait of Queen Mary II by Sir Godfrey Kneller (formerly loan item L1954-1069.)

Creator

Lincoln, F.S.

Publisher

Pacific Stereopticon Company

Date

ca. 1935

Identifier

PSC-035

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Lantern slide

Physical Dimensions

2 x 3 inches

Citation

Lincoln, F.S., “House of Burgesses in the Capitol,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed May 11, 2021, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/581.