Site of the Old High School on the Site of the Governor's Palace

Dublin Core

Title

Site of the Old High School on the Site of the Governor's Palace

Subject

Schools - Virginia - Williamsburg
Block 20. Building 03.

Description

Lantern slide featuring a photo looking down Palace Green towards the old Williamsburg High School building that was torn down to make way for the reconstruction of the Governor's Palace. It is the thirty-eighth slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California, now defunct, to illustrate the story of Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin's dream to restore a portion of Williamsburg, Virginia to its 18th-century appearance as a shrine to early American ideals.

The Williamsburg High School stood on Palace Green from 1921 until 1933. It was replaced by Matthew Whaley School on a site adjacent to the Governor's Palace.

Publisher

Pacific Stereopticon Co.

Date

ca.1930

Is Part Of

Pacific Stereopticon Company Lantern Slide Collection

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

PSC-038

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Lantern slide

Physical Dimensions

2 x 3 inches

Citation

“Site of the Old High School on the Site of the Governor's Palace,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed December 4, 2022, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/584.