Wren Chapel

Dublin Core

Title

Wren Chapel

Subject

Block 16. Building 03.
Wren Building (Williamsburg, Va.)
Church architecture - Virginia - Williamsburg
Public buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg
Lantern slides - Hand-colored - 1930-1940

Description

Begun in 1695, the construction of the Wren Building marked the birth of an academic center in colonial Virginia. A series of fires in 1705, 1859, and 1862 damaged parts of the structure but never completely destroyed exterior walls.

When the wing housing the Chapel opened in 1732, it quickly became an important part of each student's daily routine. Morning and evening prayer services offered a contemplative beginning and end to each day of classes.

Creator

A.D. Handy Co.

Date

Circa 1930s

Is Part Of

Peter Hornbeck Lantern Slide Collection, AV-2000.9, Box 1

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

HLS-42

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Lantern slide

Physical Dimensions

3.25 x 4 inches

Citation

A.D. Handy Co., “Wren Chapel,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed September 23, 2021, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/1077.