A&P Store, Williamsburg, Virginia

Title

A&P Store, Williamsburg, Virginia

Subject

Block 15. Building 28D.
A&P Store (Williamsburg, Va.)
Craft House (Williamsburg, Va.)
Merchants Square (Williamsburg, Va.)
Stores, Retail - Virginia - Williamsburg
Lantern Slides - Hand-colored - 1930-1940

Description

Exterior view of the A & P Store (south side of Merchants Square), from the corner of Duke of Gloucester Street and North Henry Streets, 1935. The A&P Food Market, which was later converted into the Craft House, stands at the street corner. Next door is the National Barber Shop and Rose's 5-10-25 Store.

When Colonial Williamsburg first opened as a museum in the 1930s, Duke of Gloucester Street consisted of a combination of exhibition buildings and commercial establishments, and several grocers operated small food markets in restored or reconstructed structures. The A&P Food Market, shown here in Merchants Square on the southwestern corner of South Henry Street and Duke of Gloucester Street, offered a place for town residents and tourists to pick up refreshments.

Today Colonial Williamsburg's retail store, the Craft House, occupies the first floor of the building.

Creator

A.D. Handy Co.

Date

Circa 1935

Is Part Of

Peter Hornbeck Lantern Slides Collection, AV-2000.9, Box 2

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

HLS-69

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Original Format

Lantern Slide

Physical Dimensions

3.25 x 4 inches

Files

HLS-69.jpg

Citation

A.D. Handy Co., “A&P Store, Williamsburg, Virginia,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed June 20, 2019, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/1126.