Governor's Palace, Williamsburg, Virginia

Title

Governor's Palace, Williamsburg, Virginia

Subject

Governor's Palace (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 20. Building 03.
Gardens - Virginia - Williamsburg
Lantern slides - Hand-colored - 1930-1940
Lincoln, F.S.
Public buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg
Museum docents - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

Exterior of the Governor's Palace, north facade, viewed from behind the Palace, 1935. In the foreground, standing along the central path of the Palace's formal gardens, are three female costumed interpreters (once called "hostesses"), dressed in gowns and holding flowers. The gardens, designed by Arthur Shurcliff, include boxwood parterres and one dozen large cylindrical shrubs known as the Twelve Apostles, a feature often appearing in eighteenth-century English gardens. The ballroom wing of the Palace, featured in the background, was built as an addition during the 1750s. Above its rear doors, a painted carving of the royal coat of arms is mounted within a pedimented gable

Creator

Lincoln, F.S.

Is Part Of

Peter Hornbeck Lantern Slides Collection, AV-2000.9, Box 3

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

HLS-115

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Original Format

Lantern Slide

Physical Dimensions

3.25 x 4 inches

Files

HLS-115.jpg

Citation

Lincoln, F.S., “Governor's Palace, Williamsburg, Virginia,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed November 19, 2018, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/1171.