Southeast Committee Room, Capitol
View of Southeast Committee Room of the Capitol, Williamsburg, Virginia, 1935. Located on the second floor (east wing) of the reconstructed Capitol building of 1705, this committee room served as place for members of Virginia's House of Burgesses to assemble to discuss legislative issues. Pictured to the left is a "warming machine" (accession # 1933-503 [L]) made by Abraham Buzaglo in 1770, once used for heating the hall of the House of Burgesses.
Interior furnishings and decor reflect curators' views in the 1930s as to how Williamsburg's historic interiors may have looked in the eighteenth century. Nevertheless, with new research advancements over the years, the interiors of the Governor’s Palace have changed to reflect a more authentic and accurate view of the building’s likely contents and room arrangements.