Bruton Parish Church, Williamsburg, Va.

Title

Bruton Parish Church, Williamsburg, Va.

Subject

Bruton Parish Church (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 21. Building 01.
Church architecture - Virginia - Williamsburg
Postcards - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

Recto and verso of postcard illustrated with a view of the northeast exterior elevation of Bruton Parish Church. The photo depicts the church prior to the final phases of restoration work in 1939 that brought the exterior back to its 18th-century appearance. The exterior window shutters and louvered window grills on the church tower all disappeared when architects determined that such elements would not have been used on a brick church in colonial Virginia.

The caption reads: "Bruton Parish Church. Built in 1678, and rebuilt in 1715, successor to Middletown Church, established 1632. In the Church can be seen three communion services, viz: The Jamestown Service, George III Service, and the Service presented by Lady Gooch in 1686. Also the Bible presented the Church in 1907 by His Majesty, King Edward VII of England, and the handsome bronze lectern by Ex-President Theodore Roosevelt at the same time."

Date

ca. 1930s

Is Part Of

Postcard Collection

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

AV-99-26-02-R
AV-99-26-02-V

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Files

AV-99-26-02-R.jpg
AV-99-26-02-V.jpg

Citation

“Bruton Parish Church, Williamsburg, Va.,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed June 20, 2019, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/620.