Bruton Parish Church Interior, Williamsburg, Va.

Dublin Core

Title

Bruton Parish Church Interior, Williamsburg, Va.

Subject

Bruton Parish Church (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 21. Building 01.
Church architecture - Virginia - Williamsburg
Postcards - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

Recto and verso of postcard depicting the interior of Bruton Parish Church published by the Albertype Company and distributed by H.D. Cole. View looking from the rear balcony down the nave of Bruton Parish Church towards the altar. The sanctuary retains the appearance that resulted from architect J. Stewart Barney's restoration of the interior completed in 1907. While the altar is in its original eastern configuration, the stained glass window and large arched opening were removed during final restoration work in the late 1930s.

The caption reads: "Where Washington worshipped in 1781. The parish dates back from 1632. Four presidents of the United States have worshipped within its walls, Washington, Jefferson, Monroe, and Tyler. The bell which hangs in the tower was made in England and presented to the church in 1761, and summoned the patriots together in Revolutionary times. The brick wall enclosing the graveyard was built in 1752."

Creator

Albertype Co.

Is Part Of

Postcard Collection

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

AVPC-555

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Postcard

Physical Dimensions

3.5 x 5.5 inches

Citation

Albertype Co., “Bruton Parish Church Interior, Williamsburg, Va.,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed June 15, 2021, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/733.