Bruton Parish Church, Williamsburg, VA

Dublin Core

Title

Bruton Parish Church, Williamsburg, VA

Subject

Bruton Parish Church (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 21. Building 01.
Church architecture - Virginia - Williamsburg
Postcards - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

Recto and verso of early Divided Back postcard published by Williamsburg resident Henry Dennison Cole and sold at his shop on Duke of Gloucester Street. It features a view of the exterior of Bruton Parish Church from the cemetery. The shutters on either side of the nave windows and the window grilles on the church tower would later be removed during final restoration work in the late 1930s.

The caption reads: "Built in 1710-15. Where Washington worshipped in 1781. The parish dates back from 1632. Four presidents of the United States have worshipped within its walls, Washington, Jefferson, Monroe, and Tyler. The bell which hangs in the tower was made in England and presented to the church in 1761 and summoned the patriots together in Revolutionary times. The present brick wall enclosing the graveyard was built in 1752 and cost $1,000.00."

Creator

Cole, Henry Dennison

Date

Circa 1920s

Date Created

Circa 1920s

Is Part Of

Postcard Collection

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

AV-2003-06-21-R
AV-2003-06-21-V

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Postcard

Physical Dimensions

3.5 x 5.5 inches

Citation

Cole, Henry Dennison, “Bruton Parish Church, Williamsburg, VA,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed May 17, 2022, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/732.