Garden of the Carter-Saunders House

Title

Garden of the Carter-Saunders House

Subject

Robert Carter House (Williamsburg, Va.)
Gardens - Virginia - Williamsburg
Block 30. Building 13.

Description

Hand-colored lantern slide featuring a photo of the formal garden behind the Robert Carter House, formerly known as the Carter-Saunders House, taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. It is the sixteenth slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California, now defunct, to illustrate the story of Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin's dream to restore a portion of Williamsburg, Virginia to its 18th-century appearance as a shrine to early American ideals.

The formal garden is located behind the Robert Carter House. Geometric parterres bordered with boxwood hedges are intersected by brick pathways to create an ornate and orderly vista. The necessary or privy is situated at the back of the garden, as was customary to provide privacy. A bench along the back path offers a spot to enjoy the scents and colors of the flowers.

Creator

Lincoln, F.S.

Publisher

Pacific Stereopticon Co.

Date

1935

Is Part Of

Pacific Stereopticon Company Lantern Slide Collection

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

PSC-017

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Original Format

Lantern slide

Physical Dimensions

2 x 3 inches

Files

PSC-016.jpg

Citation

Lincoln, F.S., “Garden of the Carter-Saunders House,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed November 21, 2017, http://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/562.