Browse Items (219 total)

  • Tags: Historic Buildings

HLS-54.jpg
View of the front elevation of the Ludwell-Paradise House as featured on a lantern slide produced by A.D. Handy Co. One of the eighty-eight original eighteenth-century buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the house played an important role in the…

AV-2001-09-01 R.jpg
Postcard featuring the North elevation of Bassett Hall published by The Williamsburg Drug Co. in association with The Albertype Co., Brooklyn, NY.

The caption reads: "Bassett Hall, Williamsburg, Va. Built about 1765. Residence of the Hon. Burwell…

AV-2000-2-10-R.jpg
Recto and verso of postcard of the William Finnie House, once known as the Peyton Randolph House, published by H.D. Cole, News Dealer.

One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the Finnie House is named after William…

HLS-71.jpg
Opened as an exhibition building in April 1936, the Public Gaol is one of eighty-eight original buildings in Colonial Williamsburg's Historic Area that have been restored to their eighteenth-century appearance. The structure included cells for the…

HLS-5.jpg
Bruton Parish Church as it appeared in the early 1930s, facing north across Duke of Gloucester Street in Williamsburg, Virginia.

LC357P2.jpg
This view of the north front of the William Finnie House shows the property as first restored. An original structure remaining intact from the late eighteenth century, the building is admired as an early example of Federal architecture and…

LC325P26.jpg
This image of the reconstructed Capitol shows its south and west facades. Rounded apsidal ends derive from Roman basilicas which contained such features in which public magistrates officiated. Completed during the reign of Queen Anne, the original…

LC327P9.jpg
This view from the pleached hornbeam arbor at the Governor’s Palace shows the north and west facades. The ballroom wing, an addition during the 1750s, includes the royal arms in its pedimented gable. Gardens, designed by Arthur Shurcliff, include…

LC327P41.jpg
Exterior of Governor's Palace, view from the northeast, 1935. This image of the Governor's Palace, shown as it was first reconstructed, includes features and details that changed with later research and investigation. Wrought-iron gates and the…

LC367P1.jpg
The north and west facades of the Nicholas-Tyler Office illustrate both the varied use of buildings in Williamsburg's Historic Area, as well as modifications that are undertaken when research identifies incorrectly interpreted features. Used as the…

LC332P5.jpg
This view looking northeast at the St. George Tucker property shows one of the Historic Area's original eighteenth-century houses, when still occupied by descendants of the original builder. Later additions and outbuildings have been removed and…

LC326P10.jpg
The Apollo Room at the Raleigh Tavern was the frequent scene of both jollity and consequence. Dinners and dances rivaled in elegance those at the Palace. Burgesses reconvened at the tavern when they were dissolved by royal governors prior to the…

LC327P44.jpg
The vista south along Palace Green is a feature mentioned by Thomas Jefferson who noted that native American catalpa trees were planted along the sides. The open space continues south of Duke of Gloucester Street on what Benjamin Bucktrout's map of…

LC325P1.jpg
Interior view of the Clerk's Office in the House of Burgesses, Capitol Building, 1935.  Charles Willson Peale's portrait of Washington (accession # 1933-502, A&B) is featured prominently on the wall. In 1928, it was acquired by John D.…

LC331P2.jpg
This view of the south and east facade of the Courthouse shows the building with its unique cantilevered entrance porch. This original building was constructed shortly before the Revolution and it is thought that the stone columns intended to support…

LC326P1.jpg
The Raleigh Tavern opened in 1932 as one of the earliest exhibition buildings at Colonial Williamsburg. One of the rooms open to visitors was the Daphne Room, a private room offered to tavern guests for holding meals and meetings. Interior decor for…

LC325P9.jpg
View of the House of Burgesses in the reconstructed colonial Capitol of 1705, Williamsburg. This room served as a place for members of Virginia's House of Burgesses to assemble to discuss legislative issues. Located on the first floor of the…

LC325P8.jpg
View of the House of Burgesses, Capitol, 1935. Located on the first floor (east wing) of the reconstructed Capitol building of 1705, this room served as a place for members of Virginia's House of Burgesses to assemble to discuss legislative issues.…

LC325P3.jpg
East Committee Room of the Capitol, Williamsburg, Virginia, 1935. Located on the second floor (east wing) of the reconstructed Capitol building of 1705, this committee room served as place for members of Virginia's House of Burgesses to assemble to…

LC325P4.jpg
View of Southeast Committee Room of the Capitol, Williamsburg, Virginia, 1935. Located on the second floor (east wing) of the reconstructed Capitol building of 1705, this committee room served as place for members of Virginia's House of Burgesses to…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2