View of Bruton Parish Church Across Palace Green

Dublin Core

Title

View of Bruton Parish Church Across Palace Green

Subject

Bruton Parish Church (Williamsburg, Va.)
Historic buildings -- Virginia -- Williamsburg
Public buildings -- Virginia -- Williamsburg

Description

View of Bruton Parish Church across Palace Green, from the corner of Nicholson Street and Palace Street, 1935.

A smaller seventeenth-century structure stood on the site from 1683 until 1715, when the larger and more elaborate cruciform-style church replaced it. Located at the edge of Palace Green on the corner of Duke of Gloucester Street and Palace Street, the church was originally designed by colonial Governor Alexander Spotswood. Bruton Parish continues to serve an active Episcopal congregation and has functioned as a site of worship for the community since the parish was first founded in 1674.

Creator

Lincoln, F.S.

Date

1935

Date Created

1935

Rights

This material is protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). For reproduction queries: Rights and reproductions

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

LC365P9

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Gelatin or collodian printing out paper with platinum toning, mounted on board

Physical Dimensions

8x10 inches

Citation

Lincoln, F.S., “View of Bruton Parish Church Across Palace Green,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed May 22, 2022, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/303.