Old Bruton Parish Church

Title

Old Bruton Parish Church

Subject

Bruton Parish Church (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 21. Building 01.
Church architecture - Virginia - Williamsburg
Postcards - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

Recto and verso of postcard published by James E. Abbe that features an exterior view of Bruton Parish Church. The rear of the George Wythe House is visible in the background.

A smaller seventeenth-century structure stood on the site from 1683 until 1715, when the larger and more elaborate cruciform-style church replaced it. Located at the edge of Palace Green on the corner of Duke of Gloucester Street and Palace Street, the church was originally designed by colonial Governor Alexander Spotswood.

A series of restoration efforts began under Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin's direction between 1903-1907 and continued periodically until completed in 1940. In this 1935 photo of the south facade of Bruton Parish Church, the building retains the Colonial Revival window shutters and screen doors installed by architect J. Stewart Barney during his 1906 renovation of the exterior, according to how be believed the church appeared in the eighteenth century. The shutters and screen doors were later removed during final restoration efforts in 1939, given the availability of further research information.

Creator

Abbe, James E.

Date

1922

Is Part Of

Postcard Collection

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

AV-2000-02-62-R
AV-2000-02-62-V

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Original Format

Postcard

Physical Dimensions

3.5 x 5.5 inches

Files

AV-2000-02-62-R.jpg
AV-2000-02-62-V.jpg

Citation

Abbe, James E., “Old Bruton Parish Church,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed June 17, 2019, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/631.