Bourbon House, Williamsburg, Virginia

Title

Bourbon House, Williamsburg, Virginia

Subject

Ayscough House (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 08. Building 05.
Lantern slides - Hand-colored - 1930-1940
Historic buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

Post-restoration view of the Bourbon House after being restored to its eighteenth-century appearance and re-named the Christopher Ayscough Shop.

Christopher Ayscough, the namesake of the shop, tried operating a tavern on the site between 1768-1770. Other shopkeepers, including Catherine Rathell, Matthew Holt, and Jacob Bruce, briefly occupied the store and sold various goods to townspeople.

The structure survived from the eighteenth century, although it was hardly recognizable due to the enlargements and modifications made in the nineteenth century. Once restored to its eighteenth-century appearance, the building exhibited such features typical of a commercial establishment as a gable end entrance and large shop window.

Today the structure is known as the Christopher Asycough House.

Creator

A. D. Handy Co.

Is Part Of

Peter Hornbeck Lantern Slide Collection, AV-2000.9, Box 1

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

HLS-44

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Original Format

Lantern Slide

Physical Dimensions

3.25 x 4 inches

Files

HLS-44.jpg

Citation

A. D. Handy Co., “Bourbon House, Williamsburg, Virginia,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed November 19, 2018, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/1110.