Powder Magazine, Williamsburg, Virginia

Dublin Core

Title

Powder Magazine, Williamsburg, Virginia

Subject

Powder Magazine (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 12. Building 09.
Powder magazines - Virginia - Williamsburg
Historic buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg
Lantern slides - Hand-colored - 1930-1940
Lincoln, F.S.

Description

Exterior of the Powder Magazine, viewed from southeast looking toward the building's entrance, 1935. Among Williamsburg's original eighteenth-century buildings, the octagonal Powder Magazine has taken on many different functions over time. Constructed in 1715 under the orders of Governor Spotswood, the Magazine was used as a secure storage site for arms, ammunition, and military equipment sent by Queen Anne for protection of the colony. The surrounding wall was added during the French and Indian War for added security.

The Magazine reprised its role during the Civil War, when Confederate soldiers again stored gunpowder inside. In the late nineteenth century, town residents re-purposed the building for use as a market house, Baptist church, dancing school, and livery stable. Efforts by the A.P.V.A. to protect the historic structure led to its preservation as an early tourist attraction in Williamsburg prior to the birth of Colonial Williamsburg

Creator

Lincoln, F.S.

Date

1935

Is Part Of

Peter Hornbeck Lantern Slides Collection, AV-2000.9, Box 1

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

HLS-50

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Lantern Slide

Physical Dimensions

3.25 x 4 inches

Citation

Lincoln, F.S., “Powder Magazine, Williamsburg, Virginia,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed May 24, 2022, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/1115.