Courthouse, North Elevation

Dublin Core

Title

Courthouse, North Elevation

Subject

Courthouse (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 19. Building 3.
Historic buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg
Public buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

View of the North elevation of the Courthouse of 1770 taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. One of the eighty-eight original structures at Colonial Williamsburg, the Courthouse stood on this site from 1770 onwards but underwent a number of minor modifications in the nineteenth century. It was restored to its colonial appearance and opened as an exhibition building in the early 1930s. The Restoration Archaeological Exhibit housed inside offered early museum visitors an opportunity to learn about eighteenth-century artifacts uncovered by archaeologists working at sites around the historic area.

Creator

Lincoln, F.S.

Date

1935

Date Created

1935

Rights

This material is protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). For reproduction queries: Rights and reproductions

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

LC331P1

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Gelatin or collodian printing out paper with platinum toning, mounted on board.

Physical Dimensions

8x10 inches

Citation

Lincoln, F.S., “Courthouse, North Elevation,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed June 27, 2022, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/248.