James Galt House, Exterior

Dublin Core

Title

James Galt House, Exterior

Subject

James Galt House (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 45. Building 40.
Architecture, Domestic - Virginia - Williamsburg
Architecture, Colonial - Virginia - Williamsburg
Historic buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

View of the front elevation of the James Galt House taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. James Galt served as a keeper at the Public Hospital and constructed the house in its original location on the hospital grounds in the mid-eighteenth century. After being deeded to Colonial Williamsburg by Eastern State Hospital in 1929, the structure moved to a site opposite Bruton Parish Church on Duke of Gloucester Street. In 1954, the house moved to its present location on Tyler Street as part of an effort to remove buildings from the Historic Area that did not stand within its bounds in the eighteenth century.

The Galt House's unusual appearance is due to the addition of a room on the chimney end, along with a lean-to structure. It began as a small single-room home and grew over time with additions to accommodate family.

Creator

Lincoln, F.S.

Date

1935

Date Created

1935

Rights

This material is protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). For reproduction queries: Rights and reproductions

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

LC362P1

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Gelatin or collodian printing out paper with platinum toning, mounted on board

Physical Dimensions

8x10 inches

Citation

Lincoln, F.S., “James Galt House, Exterior,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed August 15, 2022, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/321.