Travis House, Exterior

Dublin Core

Title

Travis House, Exterior

Subject

Travis House (Williamsburg, Va.)
Historic buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg
Architecture, Domestic - Virginia - Williamsburg
Block 13. Building 23A.
Restaurants - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

A popular restaurant for tourists in the 1930s, the Travis House served food inspired by colonial recipes. It stood for a period of time along Duke of Gloucester Street on the site formerly occupied by the Palace Theatre (Block 13, Building 23A). The structure moved back to its original location at the northeast corner of Francis and Henry Streets in the early 1950s (Block 14, Building 4).

Colonel Edward Champion Travis built the home in 1765 and it acquired several additions as successive owners occupied the site. Travis served in the House of Burgesses and was its most prominent colonial occupant. The house became a residence for superintendents of Eastern State Hospital in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

Eastern State Hospital turned the building over to the Williamsburg Restoration in 1929 and this led to its temporary move to Duke of Gloucester Street to become a restaurant.

Creator

Lincoln, F.S.

Date

1935

Date Created

1935

Rights

This material is protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). For reproduction queries: Rights and reproductions

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

LC360P6

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Gelatin or collodian printing out paper with platinum toning, mounted on board

Physical Dimensions

8x10 inches

Citation

Lincoln, F.S., “Travis House, Exterior,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed December 4, 2021, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/324.