William Finnie Quarters

Dublin Core

Title

William Finnie Quarters

Subject

William Finnie Quarters (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 02. Building 7F.
Architecture, Colonial - Virginia - Williamsburg
Historic buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg
Architecture, Domestic - Virginia - Williamsburg
Gardens - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

Exterior of the William Finnie Quarters, just east of the William Finnie House, 1933. One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the William Finnie Quarters (and the adjoining William Finnie House, not pictured here) are both original structures on Francis Street that remain intact from the late eighteenth century. The William Finnie Quarters was an outbuilding of the main house owned by William Finnie, who lived on the property from the 1770s to mid-1780s. During the American Revolution, he held the office of quartermaster general of the Southern Department.

The Finnie House holds the distinction of retaining an appearance most closely matching its eighteenth-century form throughout the time period of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The building is admired as an early example of Federal architecture – especially for its Doric-style entrance porch – which reflects colonial familiarity with architectural pattern books of the period. Restoration efforts in 1932 and 1952 mainly focused upon bringing a few elements of the entrance porch, such as the Doric columns and architrave, back to their original classical forms.

Creator

Shaw, Thomas Mott

Date

1933

Date Created

1933

Rights

This material is protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). For reproduction queries: Rights and reproductions

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

D2008-COPY-1014-1017

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Graphite on paper

Physical Dimensions

31 x 45 cm

Citation

Shaw, Thomas Mott, “William Finnie Quarters,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed December 3, 2021, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/391.