Bruton Parish Church

Title

Bruton Parish Church

Subject

Bruton Parish Church (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 21. Building 01.
Church architecture - Virginia - Williamsburg
Postcards - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

Recto and verso of postcard official Colonial Williamsburg postcard featuring a photo of the northeast exterior elevation of Bruton Parish Church. The Albertype Co. of Brooklyn, NY produced some of the earliest official postcards for Colonial Williamsburg. This one promoted the church as one of the prominent 18th-century public buildings still standing along Duke of Gloucester Street.

The caption reads: "Burton Parish Church, Williamsburg, Virginia. Court Church of Colonial Virginia. In this building worshipped seven Royal Governors, and the Revolutionary Fathers and early statesmen of Virginia, including Washington, Jefferson, Monroe, Tyler, Henry, Marshall, and many others.

Church work was established here about 1632. The name, Bruton, dates from 1674, at which time the Rev. Rowland Jones, ancestor of Mrs. Washington, was minister. In 1683 the first brick church was built. Williamsburg became the capitol in 1699, and the old church was torn down and the present cruciform structure erected in 1710-15.

The Bell in the Steeple, made in England in 1761, was the first in America to proclaim Civil Independence. The lectern was presented by President Roosevelt, and the bibles by King Edward VII, and President Wilson."

Creator

Albertype Co.

Date

ca. 1930s

Is Part Of

Postcard Collection

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

AV-92-04-16-R
AV-92-04-16-V

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Original Format

Postcard

Physical Dimensions

3.5 x 5.5. inches

Files

AV-92-04-16-R.jpg
AV-92-04-16-V.jpg

Citation

Albertype Co., “Bruton Parish Church,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed June 17, 2019, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/622.