Bruton Parish Church, Oldest Church in Constant Use in America, Williamsburg, Va.

Dublin Core

Title

Bruton Parish Church, Oldest Church in Constant Use in America, Williamsburg, Va.

Subject

Bruton Parish Church (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 21. Building 01.
Church architecture - Virginia - Williamsburg
Postcards - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

Recto and verso of postcard illustrated with a view of the northwest exterior elevation of Bruton Parish Church. The card pre-dates the 1939 restoration of the church which led to the removal of such features as the exterior window shutters and louvered window grills on the tower.

The caption reads: "Built in 1710. Where Washington worshipped in 1781. The Parish dates back from 1632. Four presidents of the United States have worshipped within its walls. The bell which hangs in the tower was made in England and presented to the church in 1761 and summoned the patriots together in Revolutionary Times."

Creator

Louis Kaufmann & Sons

Date

Pre-1939

Is Part Of

Postcard Collection

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

AV-2003-06-16-R
AV-2003-06-16-V

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Postcard

Physical Dimensions

3.5 x 5.5 inches

Citation

Louis Kaufmann & Sons, “Bruton Parish Church, Oldest Church in Constant Use in America, Williamsburg, Va.,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed May 29, 2024, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/623.