Semple House, Williamsburg, Va

Title

Semple House, Williamsburg, Va

Subject

William Finnie House (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 02. Building 07.
Architecture, Domestic - Virginia - Williamsburg
Architecture, Colonial - Virginia - Williamsburg
Lincoln, F.S.
Lantern slides - Hand-colored - 1930-1940

Description

View of the front elevation of the William Finnie House (formerly known as the James Semple House) taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. One of the eighty-eight original buildings at Colonial Williamsburg, the Finnie House is named after William Finnie. He resided in the home in the 1770s and early 1780s and held the office of quartermaster general of the Southern Department during the American Revolution.

The Finnie House holds the distinction of retaining an appearance most closely matching its eighteenth-century form throughout the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Restoration efforts in 1932 and 1952 mainly focused upon bringing a few elements of the entrance porch, such as the Doric columns and architrave, back to their original classical forms.

Creator

Lincoln, F.S.

Date

1935

Is Part Of

Peter Hornbeck Lantern Slides Collection, AV-2000.9, Box 2

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

HLS-80

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Original Format

Lantern Slide

Physical Dimensions

3.25 x 4 inches

Files

HLS-80.jpg

Citation

Lincoln, F.S., “Semple House, Williamsburg, Va,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed June 19, 2019, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/1136.