St. George Tucker House, North Elevation

Dublin Core

Title

St. George Tucker House, North Elevation

Subject

St. George Tucker House (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 29. Building 02.
Historic buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg
Architecture, Domestic - Virginia - Williamsburg
Architecture, Colonial - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

This view through the front gate of the St. George Tucker property shows the front elevation of one of the Historic Area's original eighteenth-century houses, when it was still occupied by descendants of the original builder. St. George Tucker, a law professor at the College of William & Mary, purchased and moved the central portion of the house from Palace Green to Market Square in 1788. He added wings to enlarge the size

Later additions and outbuildings have been removed and modifications made. A 1798 paint agreement specifies the color scheme used on the house. This building serves today as a donor hospitality center.
.

Creator

Lincoln, F.S.

Date

1935

Date Created

1935

Rights

This material is protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). For reproduction queries: Rights and reproductions

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

LC332P3

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Gelatin or collodian printing out paper with platinum toning, mounted on board.

Physical Dimensions

8x10 inches

Citation

Lincoln, F.S., “St. George Tucker House, North Elevation,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed October 5, 2022, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/252.