Governor's Palace, Rear Elevation and Garden

Dublin Core

Title

Governor's Palace, Rear Elevation and Garden

Subject

Block 20. Building 03.
Governor's Palace (Williamsburg, Va.)
Historic buildings -- Virginia -- Williamsburg
Public buildings -- Virginia -- Williamsburg
Gardens -- Virginia -- Williamsburg

Description

Exterior of the Governor's Palace, north facade, viewed from behind the Palace, 1935. In the foreground, standing along the central path of the Palace's formal gardens, are two female costumed interpreters (once called "hostesses"), dressed in gowns and holding fans. The gardens, designed by Arthur Shurcliff, include boxwood parterres and one dozen large cylindrical shrubs known as the Twelve Apostles, a feature often appearing in eighteenth-century English gardens. The ballroom wing of the Palace, featured in the background, was built as an addition during the 1750s. Above its rear doors, a painted carving of the royal coat of arms is mounted within a pedimented gable.

Creator

Lincoln, F.S.

Date

1935

Date Created

1935

Rights

This material is protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). For reproduction queries: Rights and reproductions

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

LC327P15

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Gelatin or collodian printing out paper with platinum toning, mounted on board

Physical Dimensions

8x10 inches

Citation

Lincoln, F.S., “Governor's Palace, Rear Elevation and Garden,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed October 19, 2021, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/178.