Alexander Purdie House

Dublin Core

Title

Alexander Purdie House

Subject

Block 09. Building 28a.
Purdie House (Williamsburg, Va.)
Historic buildings -- Virginia -- Williamsburg

Description

View of Alexander Purdie House from Duke of Gloucester Street, 1935. "The reconstructed Alexander Purdie House serves as the east wing of the King's Arms Tavern. In 1774, the Scottish-born Purdie founded the third of three Williamsburg newspapers named the Virginia Gazette. All three papers competed for readers as the Revolution drew near."

(Source: Michael Olmert and Suzanne Coffman, Official Guide to Colonial Williamsburg [Williamsburg, VA: The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, 2007], 60).

Creator

Lincoln, F.S.

Date

1935

Date Created

1935

Rights

This material is protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). For reproduction queries: Rights and reproductions

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

LC370P1

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Gelatin or collodian printing out paper with platinum toning, mounted on board

Physical Dimensions

8x10 inches

Citation

Lincoln, F.S., “Alexander Purdie House,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed October 6, 2022, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/292.