Davidson Shop (R.W. Mahone and Company Store)

Dublin Core

Title

Davidson Shop (R.W. Mahone and Company Store)

Subject

Davidson Shop (Williamsburg, Va.)
Stores, Retail - Virginia - Williamsburg
Block 18. Building 01D.
Historic buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg

Description

View of front elevation of Davidson Shop when it housed R.W. Mahone & Co. General Merchandise, 1935. Located on the north side of Duke of Gloucester Street, the building was reconstructed according to archaeological, architectural, and documentary evidence. In the eighteenth century, it served as a combination residence and apothecary shop for Robert Davidson. Initial use of the restored building as a grocery and hardware store provided residents with a retail space while adding to the colonial ambiance for town residents and tourists.

When Colonial Williamsburg first opened as a museum in the 1930s, Duke of Gloucester Street consisted of a combination of exhibition buildings and commercial establishments. Several grocers operated small food markets in restored or reconstructed structures.


Creator

Lincoln, F.S.

Date

1935

Date Created

1935

Rights

This material is protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). For reproduction queries: Rights and reproductions

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

LC364P4

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Gelatin or collodian printing out paper with platinum toning, mounted on board

Physical Dimensions

8x10 inches

Citation

Lincoln, F.S., “Davidson Shop (R.W. Mahone and Company Store),” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed December 6, 2021, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/314.