A & P Store, Also Known As Teterel Shop

Dublin Core

Title

A & P Store, Also Known As Teterel Shop

Subject

Stores, Retail - Virginia - Williamsburg
Teterel Shop (Williamsburg, Va.)
A&P Food Market (Williamsburg, Va.)
Block 18. Building 3A.
William Waters Storehouse (Williamsburg, Va.)
Historic buildings -- Virginia -- Williamsburg

Description

When Colonial Williamsburg first opened as a museum in the 1930s, Duke of Gloucester Street consisted of a combination of exhibition buildings and commercial establishments. Several grocers operated small food markets in restored or reconstructed structures. The Teterel Shop, housing the A&P Food Market, offered a place for town residents and tourists to pick up refreshments. A deed records the construction of a shop on the site shortly before 1767. The succession of owners included William Waters, William Holt, and William Coleman. In 1806, Francis Teterel acquired the property and it is his name that was associated with the building when it was first restored. Today it is known as the William Waters Storehouse.

Creator

Lincoln, F.S.

Date

1935

Date Created

1935

Rights

This material is protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). For reproduction queries: Rights and reproductions

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

LC364P1

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Gelatin or collodian printing out paper with platinum toning, mounted on board

Physical Dimensions

8x10 inches

Citation

Lincoln, F.S., “A & P Store, Also Known As Teterel Shop,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed December 8, 2021, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/315.