Courthouse of 1770

Title

Courthouse of 1770

Subject

Courthouse (Williamsburg, Va.)
Public buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg
Historic buildings - Virginia - Williamsburg
Block 19. Building 03.

Description

Hand-colored lantern slide featuring photo of Courthouse taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. It is the twenty-fourth slide in a set produced by the Pacific Stereopticon Co. of Los Angeles, California, now defunct, to illustrate the story of Dr. W.A.R. Goodwin's dream to restore a portion of Williamsburg, Virginia to its 18th-century appearance as a shrine to early American ideals.

One of the eighty-eight original structures at Colonial Williamsburg, the Courthouse stood on this site from 1770 onwards but underwent a number of minor modifications in the nineteenth century. It was restored to its colonial appearance and opened as an exhibition building in the early 1930s. The Restoration Archaeological Exhibit housed inside offered early museum visitors an opportunity to learn about eighteenth-century artifacts uncovered by archaeologists working in tandem with architectural historians.

Creator

Lincoln, F.S.

Publisher

Pacific Stereopticon Co.

Date

1935

Is Part Of

Pacific Stereopticon Lantern Slide Collection

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

PSC-024

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Files

PSC-024.jpg

Citation

Lincoln, F.S., “Courthouse of 1770,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed June 17, 2019, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/570.