Browse Items (219 total)

  • Tags: Historic Buildings

LC328P2.jpg
View of the west end of the Great Room of the Market Square Tavern taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. The original tavern structure burned down in 1859 but the remains of the original foundations allowed for the restoration of the building to its…

LC328P3.jpg
View of the west end of the Great Room of the Market Square Tavern taken by F.S. Lincoln in 1935. The original tavern structure burned down in 1859 but the remains of the original foundations allowed for the restoration of the building to its…

LC364P1.jpg
When Colonial Williamsburg first opened as a museum in the 1930s, Duke of Gloucester Street consisted of a combination of exhibition buildings and commercial establishments. Several grocers operated small food markets in restored or reconstructed…

LC370P1.jpg
View of Alexander Purdie House from Duke of Gloucester Street, 1935. "The reconstructed Alexander Purdie House serves as the east wing of the King's Arms Tavern. In 1774, the Scottish-born Purdie founded the third of three Williamsburg newspapers…

LC326P10.jpg
The Apollo Room at the Raleigh Tavern was the frequent scene of both jollity and consequence. Dinners and dances rivaled in elegance those at the Palace. Burgesses reconvened at the tavern when they were dissolved by royal governors prior to the…

Na1005.jpg
The Ayscough Kitchen prior to its restoration, Williamsburg, Virginia, circa 1930's.

D2008-COPY-1014-1001.jpg
View of Ayscough Shop from Francis Street, 1933. The Ayscough Shop once housed the Forge and Wheel, a retail establishment, which sold decorative ironwork, pottery, and other items. Christopher Ayscough, the namesake of the shop, tried operating a…

LC365P7.jpg
View of Ayscough Shop and William Finnie House from Francis Street, 1935. The structure to the left is the Ayscough Shop, which housed the Forge and Wheel (a retail establishment) in 1935. The shop sold decorative ironwork, pottery, and other items.…

LC365P1.jpg
View of Ayscough Shop and William Finnie House, looking south across Francis Street, 1935. The structure to the left is the Ayscough Shop, which housed the Forge and Wheel (a retail establishment) in 1935. The shop sold decorative ironwork, pottery,…

LC356P3.jpg
Entrance of the Ayscough Shop in 1935, when it housed the Forge and Wheel, a retail establishment. As noted on the sign, the shop sold decorative ironwork, pottery, and other items.

Christopher Ayscough, the namesake of the shop, tried operating…

LC372P1.jpg
View of Bassett Hall from the front gate, 1935.  "The Bray family owned the Bassett Hall property from the early seventeenth century until 1753 when it was transferred to Colonel Philip Johnson, husband of Elizabeth Bray.  Johnson probably built the…

AV-2001-09-01 R.jpg
Postcard featuring the North elevation of Bassett Hall published by The Williamsburg Drug Co. in association with The Albertype Co., Brooklyn, NY.

The caption reads: "Bassett Hall, Williamsburg, Va. Built about 1765. Residence of the Hon. Burwell…

D2008-COPY-1014-1005.jpg
View of the statue of Lord Botetourt, in front of the east elevation of the Wren Building, College of William and Mary, 1933. "A unique historical monument, the Botetourt statue commemorates a popular governor of the colony of Virginia, Norborne…

D2008-COPY-1014-1006 - Bracken Tenement001.jpg
Exterior of the Bracken Tenement (formerly known as the Montague House), view of the east façade, 1928. “The Reverend Mr. John Bracken, who had extensive real estate holdings along Francis Street, owned the…Bracken Tenement...and the Bracken Kitchen.…

LC368P2.jpg
Exterior of the Brafferton building, College of William and Mary, view from the courtyard, 1935. "At first, the Native American students had a classroom in the Wren Building and lodged elsewhere in the town. The Brafferton was completed for their use…

LC368P1.jpg
Exterior of the Brafferton building, College of William and Mary, view from the courtyard, 1935. "At first, the Native American students had a classroom in the Wren Building and lodged elsewhere in the town. The Brafferton was completed for their use…

HLS-5.jpg
Bruton Parish Church as it appeared in the early 1930s, facing north across Duke of Gloucester Street in Williamsburg, Virginia.

D2008-COPY-1014-1012.jpg
Exterior of the Capitol building, south facade, viewed from the southwest, 1933. The brick wall and southern entry gate are in the foreground, and in the background, the royal coat of arms is visible on the cupola above the entrance to the building.…

LC325P26.jpg
This image of the reconstructed Capitol shows its south and west facades. Rounded apsidal ends derive from Roman basilicas which contained such features in which public magistrates officiated. Completed during the reign of Queen Anne, the original…
Output Formats

atom, dc-rdf, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2