Brafferton House, College of William and Mary

Dublin Core

Title

Brafferton House, College of William and Mary

Subject

Block 16.
Brafferton building (Williamsburg, Va.)
Historic buildings -- Virginia -- Williamsburg

Description

Exterior of the Brafferton building, College of William and Mary, view from the courtyard, 1935. "At first, the Native American students had a classroom in the Wren Building and lodged elsewhere in the town. The Brafferton was completed for their use in 1723. Until the Revolution cut off revenue....there were always some Indians -- often a dozen or more -- at the college." The Brafferton and the President's House appear to be nearly identical, "...although the Brafferton is actually somewhat smaller."

(Source: Michael Olmert and Suzanne Coffman, Official Guide to Colonial Williamsburg [Williamsburg, VA: The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, 2007], 60, 105).

Creator

Lincoln, F.S.

Date

1935

Date Created

1935

Rights

This material is protected by copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code). For reproduction queries: Rights and reproductions

Format

jpeg

Type

Image

Identifier

LC368P2

Rights Holder

Special Collections, John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library, The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Gelatin or collodian printing out paper with platinum toning, mounted on board

Physical Dimensions

8x10 inches

Citation

Lincoln, F.S., “Brafferton House, College of William and Mary,” John D. Rockefeller Jr. Library, Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, accessed September 30, 2022, https://rocklib.omeka.net/items/show/294.